S3 Call for Grant Applications 2019-2020
2019-2020 Call for Applications for S3 (Science and Society @ State) Interdisciplinary Seed Grants
The S3 Interdisciplinary Seed Grant supports new or emerging interdisciplinary collaborations between MSU’s science studies scholars (sociologists/historians/anthropologists/artists/STS scholars, etc. who study science and technology) and STEM/health scholars. These interdisciplinary seed grants help create opportunities for collaborative research projects between the scholars working within a scientific/medical field, and the humanists, artists or social scientists who study that field.
Funding available for each project will be in the range of $10,000. Eligible expenses include course releases (with chair/dean’s permission), support for graduate or undergraduate assistants, or other expenses that clearly promote outcomes from a new or emerging interdisciplinary collaboration.
To be eligible to apply interdisciplinary teams must:
· Consist of one or more MSU STEM and/or health sciences professionals
· Consist of one of more MSU science studies scholars who examine scientists and/or science/technology from a social scientific, artistic, STS, and/or humanistic perspective
· Collaborative teams must have been formed recently and/or be working on a new topic of investigation
· The immediate goal of the collaboration should be applying for external funding
· The team may include a graduate student and/or postdoc, if appropriate.
· The grant may not be used to fund extensions to existing grants nor established research projects.
· The project leader’s chair or dean must agree to provide staff support for administering the post-award grant funds (fiscal and HR management).
Application Procedure: To apply, please complete the online form at:
Deadline for applications: Monday, January 27, 2020
Awards announced: Friday, February 28, 2020
Want to Learn More About S3?
Visit our website for more information regarding S3, including descriptions of previous grant projects: http://s3.msu.edu/
To join our listserv visit: http://create4stem.msu.edu/group/s3
Questions are always welcome! Please contact Sean Valles, Director of S3 and Associate Professor in Lyman Briggs College and the Department of Philosophy: firstname.lastname@example.org